I had my first miscarriage in the ladies bathroom at work. I was in shock, I think, and totally swamped with work, so I went back to my desk and finished out the day like nothing happened. Besides, like I said, my employer friends didn't know I was pregnant in the first place. I was a little naive and didn't think I could say, "I need to go home, I just had a miscarriage." The next day I found out that my best friend was pregnant. Rejoice with those who rejoice.
The situation at my office was going downhill fast. Mike knew I was completely stressed out and asked me to give my two week notice so I could stay home and try to start a family. I had another miscarriage a few months later in the fall.
I dealt with those first two miscarriages through denial. They were over within a week and I could just pretend that they were a figment of my imagination if I didn't think too much. However, doubts crept in about my fertility. I think every woman secretly wonders if she will be able to conceive.
I learned quickly not to say much to anyone about my pregnancies. Some of the things people say about miscarriage are horrible. Once I overheard someone voicing their opinion about a woman who had had multiple miscarriages, "She should just get a clue that God just doesn't want her to have children." I didn't get any comments quite that rude, but I did get a couple of, "This is just mother nature's way of weeding out the bad seeds", "You're really better off this way", or "So-and-so just had a miscarriage. They are so common these days." Like your pain is just another statistic.
Really, nothing people say can take the pain away. It is what it is. The most comforting thing you can do is just be there for someone, listen to them and pray for them. God has a plan and His timing is perfect. A huge blessing came out of my sadness. I became pregnant with Blake Austin in February 2003. If I had carried either or my previous pregnancies to term, I would not have my little Blake. Praise you Jesus for your tender mercies.
And we know that God causes all things to work together
for good to those who love God,
to those who are called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28
Romans 8:28
I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. I haven't really known what to say. If you haven't guessed already, I had another miscarriage in early June. Unfortunately, this time I can't deal with it through denial. Technically, I'm still having a miscarriage, and as of today it has been 25 days. The first week, I was in denial, the second I was depressed, and now I'm just ready for the process to be done so we can try again.
I am so thankful that I have Blake. Because of him, I think it would have been easier this time if it weren't for the constant physical reminder. It is hard to be completely healed in your heart when your body isn't. Thankfully I have a wonderful doctor, who made me laugh to distract me from the ultrasound monitor showing my lifeless womb. That was hard. Also, when someone asks Mike and me when we're going to get Blake a little sister it obviously tugs at my heart. Other than that, I'm doing fine. ;) Things are looking up and the sun is shining again.
If you've gotten this far - wow, you're brave! Thanks for listening. I do have one favor to ask - please pray that the medication I am taking will work so I don't have to have a d&c. Thank you.
I am so thankful that I have Blake. Because of him, I think it would have been easier this time if it weren't for the constant physical reminder. It is hard to be completely healed in your heart when your body isn't. Thankfully I have a wonderful doctor, who made me laugh to distract me from the ultrasound monitor showing my lifeless womb. That was hard. Also, when someone asks Mike and me when we're going to get Blake a little sister it obviously tugs at my heart. Other than that, I'm doing fine. ;) Things are looking up and the sun is shining again.
If you've gotten this far - wow, you're brave! Thanks for listening. I do have one favor to ask - please pray that the medication I am taking will work so I don't have to have a d&c. Thank you.
Sing to the LORD you saints of His;
praise His holy name.
For His anger lasts only a moment,
but His favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:4-5
Psalm 30:4-5
Darlene wrote a wonderful post on January 26th entitled,"A Person's a Person No Matter How Small". Please check it out. Thank you Darlene, your post touched my heart.










15 comments:
Kim,
I wrote a post about this on January 26th, if you have time, maybe it can give you some comfort. (It's in my archives) I have had five miscarriages and two sick babies. Sometimes I was ok, but once I was coocoo from post partum depression. I lost one at five months and the baby just stayed inside so I had to walk around for about two weeks until they did a D&C. I seemed ok, but then the depression hit and didn't leave for months. It was 1995, the worst year of my life. I hope you read the post.
Oh Kim...
I will certainly pray for you about the medication - and for God to comfort you and your husband during this time.
My heart just breaks for you...thank you for being willing to share so that I can add my prayers to yours.
Thanks Kim, hugs back to you.
Sarah - Thank you for your prayers! I appreciate them more than you know.
Darlene - I haven't been able to get your post off my mind. You went through so much. ((hugs))
Heather - Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm going right now in search of your blog! :)
Kim,
I can't say that I know what you have and are going through. I will never be able to know.
But you are definitely in my prayers.
Take care
Thanks (((Nancy)))
You are so brave. Only faith in God can bring you through something like that. Only He can make sense of what doesn't make sense. I admire your ability to walk through this and to just trust Him. I don't think I could be that brave.
Thanks (((Christabelle))). God forbid it happen to you, but I know He would see you through.
Kim-
Your words will encourage and minister many. I think people do need to talk about "the untalkable" to heal. This can happen to anyone. It may seem personal, however being open about it, will make others be open...and then healing truly can happen. I am proud of you for sharing. This is a wonderful way to share and get support. God will give you strength.
Renee
Keep trusting in God, Kim. He will get you through this.
Oh Kim! I am so sorry! But I can sense your strength...or actually His strength working in you. My favorite verse is Romans 8:28...no matter how difficult things get...if I can just remember that He is working it for my good because I love Him...I can get through it.
I lost a pregnancy about 9 years ago and had to have a d&c. It wasn't so bad...everyone at the hospital was very kind. My baby never formed, but my uterus was growing. I felt so guilty because we had just got married and getting pregnant so soon was not something we had planned. So when it happened, I felt horrible, and felt like I had wished into happening. I know that sounds dumb, but that's just how I felt. I had gotten used to the idea that I was having a baby, and it was a loss, even though I never felt life.
It looks like you have a lot of people here who care for you. What's that saying?..."Strangers are just friends you haven't met." Well, this "stranger" is praying for you. Take care! :-)
Somehow I missed this post. I will be praying for you. (((Kim)))
Matthew 5:4
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
Praying for your comfort Kim...
I had to pray before commenting here. Oh, I wanted to comment because pain is somehow more bearable when a person knows that others are weeping along with you. Pain also, somehow, becomes more bearable when we know beyond doubt that this, too, will pass. I have had my share of pain--not the kind you have suffered dear one, but the kind that God knew that I could bear and still love Him, give Him glory. That's the kind of pain He never relishes for us but allows simply because He knows we won't disappoint Him. Isn't that a strange way of looking at pain and grief? I used to say, "God, stop the world! I really need to get off this spinning whirlagig and find some sanity." He would always take me on His lap and say, "Gina, my beloved, you have to walk through this valley but you don't have to stay in this valley. That part is your choice." It took me much longer to learn that lesson than it did you. Praise God for women like you who can give Him glory through the valley of pain. Amen.
Thank you ladies for all of your thoughtful comments. ((hugs to all)) Your prayers & support means more than you'll ever know. After 30 days, the process finally ended and I didn't have to have a d&c. I'm so thankful for that. I'm not sure when we'll try again. Sometimes I feel a little hesitant...
bayoumama2 - I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand how you felt like it was your fault, even though it really wasn't. ((hug))
freeinhim94 - Your friend sounds like she's a special woman. I'd love to have half her strength. She will be one busy mama in heaven!!
gina burgess - You're so sweet. Your comment about what the Lord told you brought tears to my eyes, "My beloved, you have to walk through this valley but you don't have to stay in this valley. That part is your choice." I'll keep that close to my heart.
Post a Comment