Thursday, July 21, 2005

Planks and Presumptions

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"
-Jesus-
Matthew 7:1-3 NIV

Becky hurried down the grocery aisle in search of last minute ingredients for dinner. At the sound of an angrily raised voice, she paused mid-stride. "Josh, for pete's sake, put that back! I mean it. Now!!" Sheesh, lady, give the poor kid a break and stop snapping at him, she thought. The voice sounded familiar, so Becky peeked around the endcap to see who the woman was. Sure enough, it was Claire, the new gal at church who had been attending for the past month. Wow, she's not a very loving mom. Isn't she embarrassed to talk to her child like that in public? Not wanting to be seen eavesdropping, Becky backed away and made her way quickly to the checkout counter.

Meanwhile, a frustrated Claire prays silently for forgiveness. Please help me to be a better mom, Lord. This little guy is giving me a run for my money this week. I'm so sorry. Please give me more patience with him.

As Becky got into her car, she pulled out her cell phone and called her friend, Abbey. "Guess who I just saw at the grocery store?" she asked. All the way home, Becky relayed what she saw in the store. Abbey soaked it all in, as she'd been curious about what kind of woman Claire was. At the door to her house, Becky craddled the phone with her shoulder and shifted the paper grocery sack so she could flip through her keys. "Abs, I'd better let you go. I'll see you tomorrow."

Her daughter ran to her for a hug as soon as she got into the entryway. I'm so glad Kelsey is raised in a loving home, she thought. She laid the paper bag on the counter, annoyed at what she saw. "Darren! How many times do I have to tell you to put your wrappers in the trash? What's the big deal anyway? It is such an easy step. Did you take out the garbage yet? What do you mean "no"? I just went grocery shopping and I'm about to cook dinner. Do I have to do everything myself?"

That Sunday, Claire receives a distant, lukewarm reception from the women at church. Just last week they were so friendly to her. She wonders why things have suddenly changed...

This fictitious account serves a lesson for us. Becky made her first mistake by judging Claire. This brought out a self-righteous, arrogant attitude in Becky. Instead of praying for Claire, she criticized her in a call to Abbey, which led Abbey to entertain gossip. (Though Abbey could have stopped Becky at any time.) Who knows if Abbey passed it on... To top it off, Becky came home and hypocritically lost her patience with her husband and snapped at him. As the saying goes, "When you point a finger, there are three pointing back at you."

Time and again the Bible calls us to refrain from judging and gossiping. Unfortunately, it can be tempting to do, which is probably why God addressed this so much in the Word. We have all sinned in this area at some point. I clearly remember being on the painful receiving end of judgment, and I'm sure you do too.

I remember in college, anytime movies were discussed, a friend used to pipe in, "Well, I'm not going to see that movie. I don't watch anything over PG-13." Imagine a nose in the air and you get the picture. Did her self-righteous attitude persuade us to follow her shining example? Not really. Did we feel like she thought she was a better Christian than us? Definitely.

What about me? Have I been faithful? Well, it matters very little what you or anyone else thinks. I don't even trust my own judgment on this point.
My conscience is clear, but that isn't what matters.
It is the Lord himself who will examine me and decide.
So be careful not to jump to conclusions before the Lord returns as to whether or not someone is faithful. When the Lord comes, He will bring our deepest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. And then God will give to everyone whatever praise is due.
1Corinthians 4:3-5
NLT

Don't make assumptions about others. You can't possibly know where they've been unless you've walked a lifetime in their shoes. Only God knows a person's heart. When a critical thought enters your mind, bring it before the Lord. He alone is qualified to judge. James 4:12 states, "There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?" Examine your own heart and relationship with God. Remember the power of prayer and get down on your knees for the person you're tempted to judge. Forgive them and love them in spite of their faults. Besides, it doesn't matter how unworthy you think someone is, they are created in God's image, and you won't stop Jesus from completing the work He began in them.

Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls.
And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
Romans 14:4
NIV

We're all going along our journey with the Lord at different speeds. Sometimes we go fast, sometimes excruciatingly slow. Some of us are running, some are walking, and some of us are crawling. If you see someone struggling to keep up, come alongside them and be their encourager. Cheer them on. It is our responsibility not to trip our brothers and sisters, but to be their running partners.

Since God chose you to be the holy people whom He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. You must make allowance for each other's faults and forgive the person who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.
And the most important piece of clothing you must wear is love.
Love is what binds us all together in perfect harmony.
Colossians 3:12-14 NLT

"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
-Jesus-
John 13:35 NIV
(Just to clarify, this isn't an appeal to embrace or condone sin. Regrettably, we all sin, and sometimes the need arises for correction of a believer's unrepentant sin. This is always to be done out of love, with the hope that the person in question will turn back to the Lord. For more verses on this topic check out: 1Cor. 5, Matt. 18:15-17, 2Cor. 2:5-8, 2Thes. 3:14-15, Titus 3:10.)

27 comments:

BayouMaMa said...

"...it doesn't matter how unworthy you think someone is, they are created in God's image, and you won't stop Jesus from completing the work He began in them."

I love that sentence...boy ain't that the truth! Great post!

So glad to hear from you! :-)

Cora said...

Awesome post, Kim!

If only we could stop ourselves when we are ready to judge and take a good look at our own lives.

Thanks, Kim, for a great morning devotional!

Nancy said...

Kim,

Society is all about judging others on their actions, looks, social status, etc...

When find myself judging someone it pops into my head that it is wrong to judge someone else, that is not my job to do, it is His.

Thank you for a wonderful post, thought provoking :)

{LyndsD} said...

That was amazingly written! Good thing to think about to make yourself accountable before you open your mouth and insert your foot. Thanks for sharing that. :o)

MarylandMommy said...

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.....great post!!!

Kim said...

Hey all. Thanks for your sweet comments. This is a lesson God is taking me through on so many levels. Especially about over-criticizing myself. The Lord is patiently working on me though! :)

whaaaat! said...

What an awesome post. From the great title, to the fiction story so well written and such a glimpse at reality, to the great scripture references, and to the quotable phrases like in your runner illustration, "It is our responsibility not to trip our brothers and sisters, but to be their running partners". Thanks for the great reminders.

LAMommyof3 said...

Great post, Kim! Very though provoking...It is so tempting sometimes to judge people based on outward appearance or things they do and say, but we have to remember that God looks at the heart. (1 Samuel 16:7)

Kim said...

whaaaat!, lamommyof3, thecoolestblog - Thanks guys! I really appreciate your comments! God Bless!! :)

Bill & Glory said...

Kim,

Thank you for writing this! So many truths and so clearly conveyed. It's undeniable what God wants from us which is to show love in all things.

Why would we presume to know better than He to judge others except that we have forgotten so easily what our own sin cost Him. I have a lot of thinking and praying to do about this...

Glory

Darlene Schacht said...

You said...
If you see someone struggling to keep up, come alongside them and be their encourager. Cheer them on. It is our responsibility not to trip our brothers and sisters, but to be their running partners.

I love that, it renews a right spirit within me, thanks.

Anonymous said...

I read it again...

Even as I read this, I keep thinking, 'That's what so an so does, she is so judgemental!'

It's so hard to look within ourselves to see that we are guilty of the same things. Thanks for the reminder, I need a good slap in the head, or the wall will have to do.

Christabelle said...

Thank you, I needed this.

~Christabelle

Anonymous said...

Kim, very insightful (and also convicting...)

"Planks and presumptions" -- good title!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't make assumptions about others. You can't possibly know where they've been unless you've walked a lifetime in their shoes.

Kim, you're a wise woman!
Also, remember that when any of us fall into this trap, we can turn away from the gossip habit and start anew. That's the good news--that all of us slip up from time to time, but we learn to forgive by being forgiven ourselves!

GREAT post, and a wonderful reminder, Kim.

steve said...

God Bless!

If you get a chance could you please say a prayer for a little girl named "Rebekah" who has cancer. God knows who you will be praying about! Thank you so much!

Trying to rally some good Christian Prayer for her and her family!

Darlene Schacht said...

If you have time for prayer today, please see my blog. Any time you could give would be helpful.

Darlene Schacht said...

You will want to remove Her Wryness from your sidebar. It is now a porn site, yikes!

Hope you're back soon. Maurice is back on now.

Kim said...

Hi Darlene. I'll try to post sometime soon. Thanks for the heads up on HerWryness. I hope she's okay.

MarylandMommy said...

Where ya been? Miss your posts!!!

Mary J. Yerkes said...

A great reminder to us all! Well done, Kim.

Cora said...

Hi Kim! Where you been? I miss your blog! Just want to encourage you to keep blogging. You are a great writer and have some wonderful insights!

Vicki said...

Came today to check on you and hope you're okay....loved the post--it's RIGHT ON. Very convicting, but oh-so-needed. Thank you for speaking the truth in love. As Darlene wrote earlier, it has renewed a right spirit within me.

love your blog.
blessings,
Vicki

Darlene Schacht said...

I'm working on that book you were encouraging me to write. I'm almost finished writing the proposal in fact. Email me sometimes, I'd love to know how you are. I have an email link on my sidebar. Or you can post another blog, that would be great too.

Vicki said...

Dear Kim,
Checking up on you to let you know I'm praying for you. Would love to hear more from you here....keep your eyes on the Lord and be blessed.

{{{hugs}}}
Vicki

Unknown said...

came here via WWJblog.... :)
I just wanted to say that I loved this article you wrote. I think we're all guilty of judging sometimes and we just don't have the right. Thanks for the reminder.

Arnie Brown said...

On Thanksgiving, I had so many reasons to be thankful. I thank Him first of all for my salvation, and I thank him for the way he has blessed my business. Please read below, and then visit my web site for more. www.arniebrown.com

Connie, my wife and best friend since 1963, and I relocated to Maryland in September of 1998, after my retirement as a real estate broker in Hobart, Indiana . Connie is a nurse in Frederick, and looking forward to her retirement from the medical field.

Although successful in my real estate career, there was no “built-in” retirement plan. After my retirement, we soon realized that the luxuries we had enjoyed so much were no longer affordable.

We began “earnestly”praying for God to help us find a way to supplement our income with a home-based business; utilizing my business experience, creativity, and computer skills.

We placed a small ad on the internet seeking advice to help us find an honorable home-based business that would supplement our income and still afford us enough leisure time to enjoy life. We made it clear in our ad that we were not interested in any “get rich quick” or “pyramid schemes”. Selling on the internet and eBay was, overwhelmingly, recommended.

After a thorough investigation, we made the decision to go forward. We have gone forward and have not looked back.

The following is a brief history of my business background.

1998 to Present: Semi Retired. (but working more than I ever did)
1982 - 1998: Arnold R. Brown, Real Estate Marketing Co., Owner Springvale Town homes in Schererville, Indiana, for Aldon Builders - Sold 135 town homes in less than 2 years. Plum Creek Town homes in Schererville, Indiana, for Oakcrest Corporation - Sold over 175 town homes in 4 years. Barrington Ridge in Hobart, Indiana for Greiner Builders - Sold 56 homes exceeding 9 million in 14 months.
Responsibilities: Established advertising budgets; planned marketing targets and strategies; designed brochures and sales literature; designed media advertising; hired, trained, and supervised salespeople; assisted buyers with changes, customizing, and obtaining financing; attended closings.
1968 - 1982: Munster Conservatory of Music, Inc., Owner Owned and managed Baldwin Piano and Organ stores in Munster, Merrillville, and Valparaiso, Indiana. Hired, trained, and supervised all salespeople, employees and music teachers.
1950 – 1968: Professional Musician and Entertainer Played guitar, upright bass and was lead singer with various traveling groups. My experience as a musician, singer and stand-up comic included Special Services while serving in the US Army.
EDUCATION:
Purdue University Department of Real estate
Baldwin Sales and Management School, Cincinnati, Ohio
Greer College, Chicago, Illinois
RELATED SKILLS:
Computer Proficiency
Graphic Design
Consulting
Marketing Strategies
Sales Training
Public Relations
AWARDS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
Baldwin Piano and Organ Company Award for Outstanding Salesmanship
Nominated for Who’s Who in Indiana
PERSONAL DATA:
Date of birth – May 23, 1932
Married -1963
Height: 6’2” – 199 pounds.
Non-smoker/drinker

**Christian****christian**oh lord we praise youoh lord we praise you