"No man is an island, entire of itself..."
-John Donne
I have a tendency to be a loner and it doesn't seem to be an asset in my Christian walk. I'm struggling to balance God, family, friends, church, work, and play - like blogging. (Really, God shouldn't be "balanced", He should be in every part of my life.) Our Father was right when He said, "It is not good that man should be alone." Gen. 2:18 Lately I've been busy and I haven't spent enough time fellowshipping with friends. I feel out of the loop and a little lonely. Maybe it is more noticeable to me this time around because Mike has been working super long hours trying to get a remodel done. He's up against a deadline so a family can buy the home they are currently renting. Mike has lost weight by working so hard, and I've gained it by eating in my loneliness.
So why have I isolated myself from my church family? It is easy for me to slip into my loner ways. I was gone three Sundays in a row. The first I was in Canada, the second we were sick, and the third my mom was up from California for a two day visit. I've started working at my sister's day care during the week and Mike has been working so much that I'm starting to feel like a single mother. Praise God I'm not! (I am in awe of single moms, or moms with their hubbies away. I don't know how you do it.)
How do I get my wheels up and out of this muddy, rainy weather rut I've found myself in? The Lord is pulling me out. He is so faithful and merciful. He always places people in my life to reach out to me when I'm in a funk. My friend Diana emailed me and asked me if I was still alive and would I please email her because she missed me. She even sat next to me at church this Sunday, so I wouldn't have to be alone. Chelsey emailed back and forth with me, concerned. And Jen called me to ask me how I was doing and then gently told me to get into the Word, which lead me to a much needed devotion of Psalm 119. Thank you Lord, for sisters like these. Please let me be such a friend.
"He drew a circle that shut me out~
Heretic, rebel a thing to flout,
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that drew him in"
-Edwin Markham
Heretic, rebel a thing to flout,
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that drew him in"
-Edwin Markham










9 comments:
Kim,
Glad to see that you blogged, I was wondering if you were okay. I get like that too, it seems that if you miss one Sunday and then another it snowballs. When that happens to me I feel disconnected.
:)
Awww, thanks Nancy! :) Disconnected is the perfect word for how I've been feeling. I know I just need to jump back in!
Btw, I need to meet you at church! Where do you normally sit? Next Sunday I'm in the nursery though.
I get feeling that way every once in a while too. I am so extraverted and all of a sudden, I slink away and need some quiet alone time. I do find that Vitamin B helps if you think it may be a little case of the blues. After three days, I perk up and I feel like a brand new woman.
So why don't you come over for lunch tomorrow?
Seriously though, I sometimes think it would be so nice if blogger friends weren't so far away. I think the people I meet online are often more of a kindred spirit than the ones I actually could have over for lunch.
No real help here, I just know how you feel:-)
I've wondered where you were too. I get like that myself. I like being around people but I recharge in quiet places. To much and I get overwhelmed (which usually means cranky!)
Darlene - Thanks for the tip! :) I'll have to go buy some Vit B.
Sarah - Thanks for the lunch invite! I wish! :D I completely agree about kindred spirits online.
Fran - Recharging to quiet places reminds me of Jesus. :)
Kim,
I usually sit by Shannon in the front row. This last week a friend of mine and my niece and nephew were with me, so I was a couple of rows back. Will you be in the nursery on 5/22? I plan on being to church, but my niece has dance competition and if she dances on Sunday I might not be there. I will keep you posted!!!!
I won't be in the nursery next week, hopefully - unless Blake freaks out. lol Maybe I'll see you if you're there! :)
Kim, we're always glad to see you (and of course, Mike and Blake)--and more would be better, so I'm glad you're thinking along those lines. We've got SO many things lined up this summer, it shouldn't be too hard to get more fellowship in. And don't forget that first-Sunday-of-every-month potluck after church!
Post a Comment