Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Closer Than a Brother

The LORD Himself goes before you and will be with you;
He will never leave you nor forsake you.
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Deuteronomy 31:8

I was shopping at our new outlet mall when I saw her walking in my direction. I looked the other way and I'm not sure if she even noticed me. I was right in her line of sight, so there's a good chance she spotted me. If she did, she didn't come up to me and say hi. I didn't either, but there's a good reason... when I was 19 years old she rejected me. She was one of my best friends, but dropped me like a bad habit. She thought I was a loser.

I wish I could say that six years later it doesn't sting anymore. Usually it doesn't. When we cross paths, it does. The worst part is this puppy dog trait in me that wants to go up to her with my tail wagging and say, "Hi, how have you been? I'm a mom now - see, here's my son. I've changed. I've grown. I'm different. By the way, I miss you." I can't say that. No, that would be setting myself up for more pain. She cast that first stone long ago, and never looked back.

Unfortunately, she wasn't the first or the last person to hurt me. And in some weird twist of fate, a few of my "ex" friends have now become friends themselves. Isn't that something? Sometimes I'm not sure how to process it, so I try not to think about it. It is like heaping salt in wounds that are trying desperately to heal.

I still wish that things could be different. I'm an optimist, and it is hard for me to take the knowledge that some relationships are just downright unhealthy. Some people won't allow you to change and to grow. Once they've judged you, they look at you that way forever. And some people will be heartless, even though they are sisters and brothers in Christ. After all, they aren't perfect.

Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet;
but one thing I do:
forgetting what lies behind
and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13-14

Part of me is glad that those relationships went defunct. God used those circumstances for my good, to draw me to Him. With each hurt, I have matured as a person, and as a friend. Now, if a friend hurts my feelings, I immediately run to Him. He knows the pain of rejection and knows just how to comfort me. He is the Ultimate Best Friend, and the Perfect Gentleman. He will never have to apologize to me, because He will never ever hurt me. He will never leave me nor forsake me. He forgives my many shortcomings. He knew all my faults, and still gave His life in exchange for mine. Thank you Jesus. You're incredible.

A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24


Song of the hour: Rascal Flatts, "I'm Movin' On"

14 comments:

Fran said...

(((Kim))) I too take such comfort in that. Sometimes it's my fault, sometimes it's not but He loves me no matter what.

Darlene Schacht said...

A very bad breakup happened about three years ago with 2 women that were as close as sisters to me, they were my very best friends for a while. It was over legalistic Christian issues, and till this day, they still hate me and if they saw me in the mall they would confront and yell at me. I have broken all contact with them, but still after three years, I received a mean letter this Christmas, it was "I'm sorry that you are..." it was very spiteful and accusing and it still hurts after so long.

I can't believe that Christians are like this, but it just goes to show that we are not perfect and we shouldn't think we are.

I'm sorry for your pain, but thanks for sharing it.

Kim said...

Thanks for the hugs (((Fran)))! :)

(((Darlene))) I'm so sorry that your friends treated you like that. It hurts so badly when those you love hate you. :( Your story is similar to mine. The girl I saw yesterday, another girl and I were best friends and they both "dumped" me. They had very critical personalities, but then I messed up beyond forgiveness in their eyes. And then they were ticked that I didn't invite them to my wedding. How was I supposed to know they wanted to go? Did they want an invite just so they could say they were invited but not go? Oh well...

shannon said...

He DID use those hurts for good, Kim. All of that served to mature you.

I've had the same experience as Darlene. One friend--who described me as the closest thing she'd ever had to a sister--rejected me over a handful of legalistic issues and then wrote me a nasty letter that began, "Because at one time we had a semblance of a friendship ..." I cried for days over that. But it's all part of life.

Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing this with us. :)

Kim said...

Shanny, we posted at the same time. Wow, I can't believe how common this is. I thought it was just me... I'm so sorry. (((hugs)))

Kim said...

Pam - Thank you. :) (((hugs back)))

Anonymous said...

When I moved to Holland I had a close friend that rejected me.She had all the reasons why I should not make the move. She did not come to my garage sale and she did not help me with anything. It was terrible. Since then her life has prospered and she has become wealthy and has no need of anything as far as material benefits go. But I am sorry for her, because even though she looked at what she percieved as my faults - she lost a lot. a good friend....
I gained wisdom.

Darlene Schacht said...

Kimmy,

Get your butt back to the computer so I can read your blessed posts!

I find I like reading the blogs more than writing them these days as computer time is lean in the summer.

Anonymous said...

Do you really like ABBA? I know I do!

Darlene Schacht said...

Kim,

This was a good topic, I never realized that so many other Christian woman have gone through the same thing. You, Shannon and Rebecca have shared in my pain which is a comfort. I hope that you will be comforted too.

Fran said...

Where are you woman?! Hope all is well w/your family.

Anonymous said...

Continue on sharing wisdom from the Father with others and I know He has and will continue to use you greatly!

Cora said...

Kim, remember God uses each and every circumstance for His good. I can see the work He is doing in you. He is the one constant in our lives and the one thing we can always depend on.

BayouMaMa said...

It seems like we've all been there. I had a fall out with a girl who I was very close to. It was over something so silly. I wanted to email her and she was offended and only wanted me to call her. I told her it was hard to call her everyday as I was a new mom and going back to work and couldn't visit on the phone because everyday, but could drop her a line often because I checked my email daily. For whatever reason, she thought that made me a bad friend.

Truth is, I didn't really want to talk to her on the phone because she was so critical of her step-daughter and our conversations were just opportunities for her to say mean things and complain.

Well, after a few times during communion, I kept hearing the Lord tell me to apologize...so I did. I called her and apologized almost 2 years later. After about 20 minutes of hearing about her step-daughter and "her new best friend," I felt at peace that God had allowed that friendship to dissolve. I haven't talked to her via phone since. And get this...she emailed me! Sorry I wrote so much...guess I needed to vent. :-)