Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Straight Paths

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness,
and all these things will be added to you.
Matthew 6:33

Who do you go to for advice? Your spouse, parent, friend, co-worker, or pastor? There is nothing wrong with seeking advice. In fact, the Bible recommends seeking wise counsel. (Prov 1:5) The problem comes when you're talking to that eighth person and you haven't consulted God yet. His wisdom is above and beyond comparison, and can't be substituted. Plus, He knows your story intimately. He's seen your past and knows your future. He has a purpose for your life, so it makes sense that He's the first person you should go to.


Just how personal is your personal walk with Christ? A friend admitted to me that she didn't want to bother the Lord with her problems. After all, she said, there are people out there with major crisises. What she didn't understand is that God wants to be involved in every aspect of her life. No issue is too small to take to Him. Trust me, we're not going to sap God's energy. We can't comprehend how much power He has!

Remember, He is your Father, and you are His child. He cares about you. If your child came to you with a problem, you wouldn't say, "This isn't urgent enough. I'm busy so come back when you've got a real crisis." Your Abba wants you to talk to Him about everything. Enjoy your relationship with Him. Let Him guide you.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts. I also run across those that talk to a dozen different people because they are really looking for somebody to tell them what they want to hear. Because honestly, God often directs us in ways that are contrary to our flesh, and therefore sacrifice is often required. That's something we are not always eager to do.

Nancy said...

Kim,

Great post to break the blogger block! Welcome back and thank you for reminding me that nothing is too small or burdensome for the Lord.

Kim said...

herwryness - hi there! :) Thanks for the compliment.

sarah - LOL I was going to do a follow up post that said the same thing about God directing us in ways that our contrary to our flesh! I totally agree.

nancy - Thank you! I do get a bit of blogger block. Oh the pressure of writing a readable post! hehe

Darlene Schacht said...

I run to the phone and call anyone who will listen. But you're right, God should be the first that I call. :)

Monica said...

God is definitely the greatest parent-and to think: He's also the world's most famous single parent! I go to him for everything concerning my kids but not always concerning myself--guess that's a bit of a double standard. Good thing he's looking out for me anyways!
Take care.

Stacey said...

just found your blog...great posts...ummmm...I agree, I need to run to God and remember from whom my help comes...thanks for the reminder.

Kim said...

Darlene - Hi stranger! How've you been?
Joe - of course you can add me! I'd be honored. :)
Monica - Yep, and He's the most experienced parent too. ;)
Stacey - Thanks for visiting my blog! Hope to see you again. :)

Darlene Schacht said...

I've been good. Still on a break, but I had to stop in and see your blog.