Friday, August 25, 2006

Adventures in Mommyhood

What was I thinking? Okay, I know what I was thinking. I was thinking I would just stroll around the outlet stores with my toddler and newborn in tow, while visiting with my friend and her baby girl. I'd buy a smashing new outfit. And shoes. I need new shoes. Plus, my friend is moving to California in two weeks, so I wanted to spend time with her. We were in for a wonderful day of shopping, friendship and laughter.

I actually managed to get the boys ready and out the door, albeit five minutes late. Kyle had a full tummy and a clean diaper. Blake was a happy camper. Everything was going pretty well until I pulled out of my driveway. I should have known things might go downhill from the insane Friday traffic along the way. Five minutes late turned into fifteen. But my sweet friend was cool about it and started strolling through the stores without me while she waited.

I pulled into a parking spot and strapped the boys into our new sit n stand stroller. So far so good. Someone opened the door to the Gap outlet for me. That was nice. Thank you! Whoa, there were a lot of people in there. Suddenly the sit n stand seemed like a land yacht. It maneuvered really well, but it was still huge and in the way.

My friend came out of the dressing room and we tried to browse a little bit. From what I saw, the clothes were really cute, and I looked forward to using my 20% off coupon on some clothes that actually fit my postpartum body. (I haven't exactly been dressing at the height of fashion lately.)

Blake dropped his monster truck. I picked it up. There you go, Honey. Let me get back to flipping through these tops. Clunk. Oh, you dropped your sippy cup. That's okay. Oops, the yacht's in that girl's way. Sorry, let me move that. The baby starts crying in his car seat. Ack. Why is he crying? (Remember, he's clean and fed.) I slip a binky into his mouth but it's not pacifying him. Maybe if I get this show on the road and start walking he'll settle down.

Hmmm. What about the clothes I was going to try on? Yeah right. Maybe I should just buy them and try them on at home? That's a really long line. Baby crying. Nevermind. I put away the clothes and my friend decides she doesn't want the clothes she was looking at anyway... so we go for a stroll outside.

Baby is still crying so we go to the restrooms to see if we can find a baby changing station. He must be wet. We get to the changer but he's stopped crying and upon closer inspection, he isn't wet. Okay, I need to find a place to nurse him. My friend said we could go to get something to eat at the food court, so we cruise on over there. Did I mention how many people there are? We open the doors to the food court (a feat itself) and notice how packed it is. Hardly an open table in sight, and the lines are long. Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

My friend had just one item she was shopping for, so we head over to her store. Kyle's starting to cry again, so I wait outside for her and look for a free bench in the shade to sit on and try to nurse him. Suddenly Blake is whining and wants down. He's pointing to something behind me. Oh brother. I had the great wisdom and foresight to sit on a bench by a group of ride-on toys. By this point, Kyle is just ticked. This just isn't working. So I go into the store and tell my friend I'm sorry, but I have to leave. She understands and hopes we can get together again soon. I feel terrible for wasting her time.

I set off at a fast clip toward my van, which is parked on the opposite end of the outlet stores. Kyle's crying hysterically as I angle around oncoming shoppers. We finally arrive at our van and I get the boys settled. As I click Kyle's car seat into its base, intending to get him out to nurse, he quiets down, so I make a quick decision to drive home without feeding him. He falls asleep on the way to Hermitville. Home sweet home.

20 comments:

.:Heather:. said...

Awwww...Kim. I'm sorry it didn't work out today but it was good seeing you! I remember being overwhelmed when Sage was a newborn-and I only had HER to think about! I give you a great big pat on your back for at least attempting it! You didn't waste my time-it was wonderful seeing you and the boys-even for the short time. :) Let's get together next week-name the time and the place! Even if it's sometime between naps on your living room couch!

Anonymous said...

I am glad your attempting to get out of Hermitsville.

Mom

Kim said...

Heather, I didn't exect you to read this. lol Next week sounds great. I'll call you. :)

LAMommyof3 said...

Bless your heart! I hate to say it, but that sounds pretty typical to me with 2 little ones! :) But, it will get better and easier as your precious new little one gets older.

Kim said...

lamommyof3 ~ It's good to know it is typical and not just my incompetence! lol I can only imagine how much harder it must be with 3 kids.

Nicki said...

Oh, Kim! Good for you, for getting out there and trying. I've had plenty of days that have gone like that too. It will get easier with time, but even then, there will still be days like those. LOL!

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Oh, my! I rememer those days! Ack!

Tracy said...

I'm sorry your big outting didn't turn out as you'd hoped, but I agree ... good for you for trying! We've all been there. It'll get easier! ;-)

Kim's Life said...

Ohh You poor thing. So many times I had taken my two out when they were little and came home early.

Christabelle said...

You were right when you said you had posted lately! That must have been so awful for you, expecting a great day only to have it cut short. It will get better. And I look forward to visiting you at your house soon.

Nicki said...

Kim,
I'm sorry that I never responded to your question that you asked about my camera, over at my blog. I completely forgot to respond to it! Anyway, I use a digital Canon Rebel XT. I haven't figured out all of the bells and whistles on it yet, but I'm enjoying it. I wish that I had gotten it years ago, when my children were babies. But, better late than never, I guess. :)

Kim said...

Nicki - Wow! That's the camera I've been looking at but haven't bought yet. Then when I saw your fabulous pictures, I decided to ask you. I didn't know that camera could take that great of pics! I can't wait to buy one. You've convinced me to get one while Kyle's still a baby. We're going shopping for a camcorder too. I'm kicking myself for not buying one while Blake was a baby. :(
Thanks Nicki!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I can completely relate. Those kinds of days are so tough on us mamas, but you weathered it as well as could be expected!
It does get easier, thankfully!
Thanks for stopping by my blog lately and leaving me some comments. Have a great day and enjoy those precious boys!!

Kim's Life said...

Kim were have you been. Hope all is OK.

Dr. Kristi B. Godwin said...

Hi, Kim! :) I was online and thought I would stop by to see how you were. I see you and your new little one are adjusting. Having two boys is a job, isn't it? It is taking me some time to get used to it. I had forgotten so much about them being so little... I hope all is going well, it sounds like it is from your posts :). Just wanted to say "hi"! You can see pics of my boys on my page, too, if you want. I actually just started a new website, too, that serves as a small business doing scrapbooking and selling photographic prints of mine, if you want to look at it. Keep in touch! :) Kristi

Vicki said...

This brought back memories of my three when they were little.Hang in there...you sound like a great mom. Hugs & blessings!

BayouMaMa said...

Hi Kim! I see that it's been awhile since you've posted. Hope all is well with you and your little ones.

Your day reminds me of my first day out with my 2 boys. BayouBaby cried the WHOLE time we were in the mall. I felt like people were giving me dirty looks...like I was a bad mom. I finally gave up...cried a little myself...and drove all the way back home...feeling like something was wrong with me.

Alot has changed since then...and it has gotten easier. I still can't really shop with my boys...but at least we can leave the house. *chuckle*

Vicki said...

Checking on you, sweet friend.

Terry said...

Dear Kim...Could you please pray for David Fisher?
He has been ill for a few days and requested us to pray for him. I saw your name on his favorites!...From Terry

Susan Skitt said...

Hi - visiting through Shannon's blog.

I must say I smiled and nodded all the way through your "adventurous post"! And the land yacht - too funny! (A few years back we got one of those jogging strollers for "off road baby pushing & the occasional mall trip.) I truly believe children and shopping go together like oil and water!

My preschooler wrote a true but telling tale for "Mommy's Day" at school. When asked what his mommy liked to do by herself he aptly said, "Go shopping!"

When asked what Mommy likes to do with him? Golfing... mini-golf that is... (smile)

Take heart dear mommy. You're not alone!

Blessings and Joy,
Susan